I had got myself into a position where I wanted to really go to town on painting models for my small vignette this weekend, so I spent one of my few remaining annual leave days on a day off on friday. The intent was to get to a point by the end of the day where the Strain Revenant that I had prepped was painted. This, however did not really go according to plan...
As I wanted quite a lot of lividity to all the wounds on the revenant, I decided that it would be best to paint in almost a greyscale and then add all the colour afterwards. This may have been a mistake as the glazes I used didnt really sit well over the top of the shading and I didnt get the effect I was looking for. It ended up rather 'muddy' and not as neat as I had hoped.
I will start at the end for anyone who just wants to see where I finished.... after the break I will go into more detail about what I did. This is the revenant NOW:
OK, so you're ready for more of my musings... righty-ho
In this set of photos you can see how I built up the shadows first followed by painting in the details (torn flesh, boils etc) and then added colour to the flesh. To me it looks too messy, and I felt I needed to try something different.
This Revenant will have a short visit from Mr Dettol, and I will soon post a WIP of the second Revenant which I started over the weekend using a slightly different technique!