So I started adding some colour to the first of the Salamanders last night. The first step was a quick zenithal primer using Halfords care primer aerosols... this hasnt given a smooth edged blend from black to white, and is actually quite blotchy (as you can see in the photo) but, as most of it will be covered by the painting, it is not too much of an issue.
I started slapping some green on - I want it to be very saturated and almost glowing, with deep shadows and zingy bright highlights. This should contrast nicely with the black shoulders, gun and backpack. Still obviously a lot of work to do, but I definitely think I have made the right choice sticking with the bright green.