Wednesday 29 May 2013

Salamander Marine

The marine as he stands now... green, yellow and black are mostly done, but I have a fair bit to do on his cloak. I am unhappy with the way is coming on and have tried numerous colour combinations and am now thinking the whole cloak needs to be covered in scales (or at very least smoothed right out as what I was hoping to look like a rough leathery texture has ended up just looking messy...)

I still need to work on the gold - I've bought some alcohol based Vallejo metallic paints which should be nice and bright with a real shine to them. I'll break out the inks to try and keep them glossy and hopefully increase the contrast between the metals and the surrounding colours.
Here is a photo of the 30mm Marine with his inspiration, the 6mm Terminator

5 comments:

  1. Both the color and the application is exquisite, a great work. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a great color harmony,compliments

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pleased you both like the colour - saturated colours have always been a bit of a tricky one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. That is stunning. The cloak is organic rather than armour so maybe that is where the disconnect is. It's hard to do high contrast on organic pieces due to the flowing lines and lack of symmetry. You may have to fake the contrast and exaggerate the shadows to make it work with the rest of the mini or go completely the other way and make it look fleshy and organic - it's kind of neither here nor there right now. I'm sure it will come out amazing, given your track record :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The cloak is organic rather than armour so maybe that is where the disconnect is. It's hard to do high contrast on organic pieces due to the flowing lines and lack of symmetry."

      Aaah yes, that makes a lot of sense to me - thanks Zab!

      "or go completely the other way and make it look fleshy and organic"

      Funny you should mention that, I repainted the dark red bits last night and am heading down a more leathery look... it works a whole lot better! I suppose it also adds a bit more of a textural contrast to the piece (something I was tentatively exploring with the ammo pouch).

      Delete