Saturday, 19 April 2014

Crazy Ivan by Forged Monkey

Forged Monkey is a small mini company by German Miniature Maestro Raffaele Picca (of Massive Voodoo fame), and they produce an eclectic mix of miniatures and busts designed with the painter in mind. I have a number of their busts, and being a big fan of painting flesh tones, this Knucklehead bust really screamed out to me to get painted.

On the suggestion of my mate MrDee I went for a Russian gangster theme... unwittingly following a similar path to Raffa himself... bit of a scary prospect that! Fortunately I didn't realise until I was finished and wanted to see if anyone else had painted him... (Raffa's paint job >>here<<). Actually, before you see the master's work, here's my interpretation:


Each of the tattoos has a specific meaning, some less savoury than others. For example the tattoo on his chest shows a Russian cathedral, where the number of domes shows the number of convictions. The bulls on his back signifies a fight for leadership in the criminal environment.



Better pictures (and an opportunity for members to vote) can be found on Putty & Paint here: http://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/4529

Just added this guy to Cool Mini or Not too: http://www.coolminiornot.com/356205

Votey-vote vote-vote :)

4 comments:

  1. Very nice and well done with the tats, very hard to make them not look painted on!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s all about the colour - I picked a grey which was quite neutral, and I also glazed over the top of all the flesh once the painting was done with various different colours to create nuance in the skin tones. I think that really helped pull it together.

      Delete
  2. Great piece mate.. was great to be able to see it in person at Salute! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude - glad you liked him :)

      Delete